Thursday, December 16, 2010

Dating Scam, from the Military Angle

I have talked about dating and romance scams in the past, but I recently came across an article dealing directly with Military Dating Scams that I wanted to share with you.

Since I am not a military person, and no one in my family has been an active military person since before I was born, I would not have known some of this information.

None of them use .mil email addresses that ALL military personnel have. These are just some of the tipoffs you should be aware of. 
This is good to know.  Just like when the scammer contacts a person pretending to be with a federal agency, but they are using a gmail account . . . this is a red flag.

Some of the other red flags are when the scammer asks you to help them to cash checks.  The author of this article points out that military personal do not need assistance from civilians to get their checks.  Another line the scammers will feed you . . . they are injured and need help getting home because they are stuck in Dubai.  The military will always pay for any flight home, and injured soldiers would not be transported to Dubai and just left there.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you about scammers. I myself experienced this terrible situation. It's when I join some dating sites, I will not mention the specific site I'm so pissed of of the scammers of that site. The scammer keeps on asking money from me. So, what I did I report it to the administrator of the site and I decided to deactivate my account there.

    ReplyDelete