Sunday, April 4, 2010

419 scams

I recently gave a presentation at a local high school, and when I was going over a list of different scams and said that 419 scams are the ones that most people think of when they hear the word "scam" the students looked at me and most of them did not know what I was talking about. I guess since I have gotten so deep into the world of scams I just assume that everyone knows about 419 scams. I guess that this is just more proof that we need Scam Education and Awareness Programs in our schools and communities to teach people about these scams.

What is a 419 Scam?

To break it down to the basics. these are the letters and email that claim to be from a Prince or Dignatary from another country who has a large amount of money that they need to get out of the country, and if you would be kind enough to help them they will share a portion of the money with you.  Another variation of the 419 scam claims that you have a relative that died and left you a large amount of money.  In either case, they will ask you to send them some money for "legal fees" to transfer the money.

The scammer may even tell you that they are dying or that there is some other urgent reason that they need to complete this transaction.  These are all just lies to pull at your heart and cause you to make rushed choices.

Here is an example of a 419 Scam email
DEARLY BELOVED

RE: PLEASE ENDEAVOUR TO USE IT FOR THE CHILDREN OF GOD.

Reply email to my private email:mommylinda@live.com or mrslindakunte01@gmail.com

Dearly Beloved,

ln my quest to locate a genuine God fearing person, a good friend and a partner to bring my dreams to a reality, l have decided to take the bold step to contact you via this medium, l would not like you to pick offence, that l am bothering you, since you do not have the slightest knowledge about me neither have we ever met.

I am MRS. LINDA KUNTE from Kuwait . I was married to DR HARRY KUNTE who worked with Kuwait embassy in Ivory Coast for nine years, before he died in the year 2002. we were both married for thirty two years and we were blessed with an adopted male child, who is twenty five years old now.. My husband died after a brief illness that lasted for only four days.

Before his death we were both involved in charity services. Since his death I decided not to re-marry or get a child outside my matrimonial home which is against my principle. When my late husband was alive he deposited the sum of $11.8 million eleven million eight hundred thousand u.s.dollars with a bank in Europe . Presently, this money is still with the bank in Europe for safekeeping.

Recently, my doctor told me that I would not last for the next three months due to my cancer problem..Though what disturbs me most is my stroke sickness. Having known my condition of health I have decided to donate this fund to charity, orphanage home or an individual that will utilize this money the way I am going to instruct herein.

I want an individual that will use these funds to fund charity, orphanages and widows and to ensure that these set of people are well maintained. The bible made us to understand that blessed is the hand that griveth. I took this decision because out of the vision God almighty gave to me and for my love for humanity and the less privilege people in the society, our only adopted son and my husband's relatives are well off and I don't want my husband's hard earned money to be misused by them.

As I do not want a situation whereby this money will be used in an ungodly manner. Hence the reasons for taking this bold decision. I am not afraid of death because l have lived a fulfilled life. As it is right now, I don't need any telephone communication in this regard because of my health and also due to the presence of my husband's relatives around me always. I don't want them to know about this development. As soon as I receive your reply I shall give you the contact of the bank in the Europe .

I will also issue you a letter of authority that will prove you as the original-beneficiary of this funds. I want you to see to the need of the less privileged. My happiness is that I lived a fulfilled life and l don�t have any regrets in life . Please note that any delay in your reply will give me room in sourcing for another individual as I stated herein.

For now I don�t want any calls from you because of the presence of my husband's relatives who are always around me and I don�t want them to know my plans. Do get in touch with me on my private email address mommylinda@live.com or mrslindakunte01@gmail.com for more details to proceed.

Hoping to hear from you soonest and do notify your interest to help me assist charity.May the peace and blessing of God be upon you and May God bless you as you respond to my plea.

Remain blessed.

Best Regards,
MRS. LINDA KUNTE

No comments:

Post a Comment