Saturday, October 10, 2009

Be warned about Google Revolution!

Be warned about Google Revolution! This site is not affiliated with Google and is a big scam.

Because I am always looking for new innovative ideas and trends for our newsroom this one looked interesting. I read about how great Google Revolution was from a column on a large news website.

I visited the site recommended and the information they were offering looked like it might be worth the download charge of $1.88. This is when they got me.
I provided a credit card number for this charge at the end of June and thought everything was fine.

In August I started to receive charges from four web companies all related to Google Revolution.

I called Visa and they said there was nothing I could do about it and to call the companies involved.

I then called the companies listed on my bill and they all said I had agreed to these charges when I downloaded the $1.88 information.

During the call I could hear the background buzz from call operators explaining to others just as shocked as I was. It seemed like the four companies were all operating out of the same call centre.

Can you imagine the money they must be receiving from other innocent victims.

I thought I was pretty savvy about watching out for scams but this one got me good. Hopefully these charges of several hundreds of dollars will not appear on my credit card next month.

Lesson learned.

The above information is reposted with the permission of
Wendy Nordvik-Carr
http://www.linkedin.com/in/wendynordvikcarr

Follow Wendy on Twitter http://twitter.com/wendynordvikcar

No comments:

Post a Comment